My husband, Schoo, has worked on cars, motorcycles, dirt bikes, boats, and airplanes for all of the twenty-some years I've known him. I watch him search for information about the things he wants to do, and usually not finding all the information he wants. I think it's a shame that someone else might want to do similar projects and have to reinvent the wheel (pun!) So, here you go... all the inspiration you need to do-it-yourself on some pretty cool projects.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Spraying Texture Paint on a Truck Bumper

Schoo has been at friend Dave's all day working on the bumper of his 2003 Chevy Avalanche, 3/4 ton.  He had the bumper fabricated about a year ago--big enough to contain his winch.  He also added two sets of fog lights, one white and a smaller one, blue.  If you need the specs on those, I can get them for you.

Today they are firming up the lighting situation and spray painting the bumper with a textured bed lining paint that we bought last night at Auto Zone.  Before you get too crazy over that, let me tell you about when he painted a jeep with a brush and some house paint...

The year was 1992 and I was laying out in the yard working on my tan (because we did that in the 90's.)  Schoo came out and said, "I'm thinking about painting the old jeep with a camo pattern."  I dismissed this because I know my husband and he'll think about these things for awhile before he does them.  But not a long while.  A few days later he went to WalMart and bought several gallons of green, brown, and tan house paint and a four-inch brush.  By this time I was a little concerned.  I had lived a life in the back woods for awhile in my teen years and some of the cars and trucks I'd ridden in were pretty embarrassing. 

So I said, "I don't think this is a good idea."  I pouted.  He was not deterred and, as you can expect from a man who later would build and fly his own airplane, he triumphed!  We got a lot of compliments on that jeep, and a good many imitators.  Schoo had started a local trend.  I may be biased, but I think ours was the best looking camo vehicle out there. 



This leads me to having a good feeling about the Avalanche bumper.  I'll post a picture for you when it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment